Thursday, January 28, 2010

Introduction/ Top Movies of 2009 (so far)

I've decided to try my hand at doing a movie review blog. I've found myself more and more lately keeping a running review tally in my head as I watch movies, so I figure it is only natural to create a blog to get the reviews out of my head and onto the web (I have enough trouble remembering things, I don't need movie reviews taking up valuable head space). So, as I watch movies I will post a review using a 5 point scale. I guess I'll stick with stars for now, but maybe at some point I'll get more creative and use something else (ideas anyone?). Feel free to recommend movies for me to see and I'll do my best to watch them.

To further inaugurate this blog, I will start by listing my current top movies of 2009. There are a lot that I have yet to see but have reserved, so I may edit this list at that point. I'll even include movies I haven't seen, but intend to, so you can fill in the missing pieces. Without further "jibberjab", I present "Mock's Top 5 Movies of 2009...(so far)":



5. Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs

A funny, original* animated movie that doesn't come from Pixar or Dreamworks. It strays pretty far from its source material, while still paying tribute to it in a lot of visual ways. Throw in a good voice cast and you have a pretty solid entry into the animated genre.

4. I Love You, Man

Take an oft-used formula, the "Chick Flick", and make it instead about a guy trying to find his best man. Then come up with a catchy name for this new genre, "Bromance", and you have a unique and hilarious movie.

3. Up

A movie that is both heartfelt and fun. Pixar movies are almost a category of movie in and of themselves in the animation world, and this movie perfectly epitomizes why.

2. Inglourious Basterds

A well-written movie that combines revenge, brilliant conversation, and wanton over-the-top violence. One of, if not the best, of Quentin Tarantino's movies. Christoph Waltz steals the show as the Nazi Hans Landa. Or as Brad Pitt's character calls them, "Nat-zees."

1. Star Trek
J.J. Abrams and his crew re-invigorate a stale franchise with a brilliant reboot. A movie that is enjoyable whether you are a Star Trek or Science Fiction fan or not.

Honorable Mention:

- Julie and Julia
- Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian

Movies I Still Need/Plan to watch (In alphabetical order):

(500) Days of Summer
Avatar
District 9
The Fantastic Mr. Fox
Funny People
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
The Hurt Locker
Law Abiding Citizen
Moon
Public Enemies
Sherlock Holmes
Up In The Air
Watchmen
Zombieland

No comments:

Post a Comment